Saturday, January 2, 2010

Non New Year's Resolutions

I’m in a foul mood. It’s New Year’s Day 2010. It’s 25 degrees out, the wind is blowing, and I didn’t get to go fishing. I had promised myself that I’d start the new year with at least a quick excursion to the park lake for a couple ice cold bluegill. It wasn’t a resolution, I don’t make those.

Lots of fly fishermen I’ve talked to in the last month or so have told me they were making resolutions to fish more this new year. I used to be like that. My work is notorious for taking my well laid fishing plans and tossing them out the proverbial window. Now, when a buddy wants to make plans to go, I never commit until a week before. I’m sure it drives them crazy but it drives me crazier when I’ve been building up to a trip and work gets in the way.

Another resolution I don’t make is to lose weight. Face it, I’m a Fat Kid. I’m alright with it, everybody else might as well be too. I will try. But I won’t make a resolution to do so.

One last resolution I won’t make is to quit using tobacco. I might try to quit but I’m not making myself resolute to do so.

These are just a few resolutions that I won’t be making this year. They are a waste of time and most people are just setting themselves up for failure. What resolutions did you or did you not make?

D