Thursday, November 5, 2009

On This Date... (A Non-Fly Fishing Post)

On this date 23 years ago I boarded a bus in Galveston, Tx bound for the Military Entrance Processing Station in Houston; 4 hours later, I was officially in the Navy. From there it was to Waukegan, IL and Recruit Training Center Great Lakes for boot camp and then across the street to Naval Training Center for a little over a year of schooling in electronics. Then I was off to Naval Station Norfolk, VA for more training. After that, I was sent to Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, CA where I spent the next four and a half years stationed at Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobil Unit-3. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Navy. But, I had a family, which doesn't mix with deployments very well, and 14 more years seemed like an eternity so I got out. I had no idea what life after the Navy had in store for me. For the most part, it has been a blast and, looking back, I wouldn't change a thing really. The only shock has been how quickly these 23 years have passed.

One of my fondest memories from my time in the Navy came on Christmas day in 1986. I was still in boot camp and obviously none of us could spend the day with family. The USO stepped in and organized a day where recruit trainees could spend the day with families in the area. I didn't get to spend the day with a family in the literal sense. I was lucky enough to spend the day at the Oak Park, IL Fire House with the firefighters on duty. Never before or since have I seen such a close knit group. Never before or since have I been treated so well by strangers. Not only is it one of my fondest memories, it was one of my favorite Christmas days. I'll never forget those guys.

I know it's about a week early for Veteran's Day, but I want to thank all those that served this great country before me, with me, and after me. If it weren't for you, the past 23 years may not have gone by so easily nor quickly. I also want to thank those that support the military. You make the hardships that go along with serving our nation feel more worthy.


D.