Thursday, October 15, 2009

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do"

I was driving to work the other morning leaned over and propped up on the arm rest because my back had gone out…again. Along with the back spasms came a grumpy mood and I began to wish I was driving to work somewhere up in the mountains. Then I started wishing I had a different job. Then I started wishing I was rich enough that I didn’t have to work. But, I figured I’d get even more bored not working than I was at that moment with my current job. So, then I wished I had my own rod shop where I built custom rods for people and repaired those that were put together by inferior hands. Then I wondered what would be the use, there isn’t much water around here to fish. The only option I had was to punt my job and move somewhere that cool mountain streams defined the landscape. Then I realized that I couldn’t move because my wife loves it here and my mom would be left here without any help. I gave up and resigned myself to the fact that I was stuck here for life; and it sucked. It was shaping up to be a lousy day.

About 5 miles before I got to work I began to think about how good it made me feel when Howard called to tell me how much he loved the fly rod I built him. Then I thought about the fishing trip to Colorado I got to take this past summer. It sure was a nice respite from the oppressive heat of Texas. Then I began to think about all the friends I have made over the years at various fly fishing events and the awesome fishing trips I’ve had with them. I looked out to the west and saw a couple of does and fawns grazing in a wheat field with a crop so lush and green it looked like carpet. I began to think about how these morning drives to work are really nice. The allow me to plan my day and be ready to face the day’s challenges when I walk through the office door. I reached over to adjust the temperature of the defroster. It reminded me that the overtime and bonus’ I got while out of town last year helped me pay cash for nearly the full amount of the pickup I was sitting in. I began thinking about my family. I’ve got a wonderful wife. She takes care of me and the house. Her worst darkest moods are better than most women’s good ones. And, she understands that sometimes a guy just needs a fishing trip. We aren’t rich but have all that we need. Our house is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. All of my kids are either in college or working, being productive citizens. Two of them are married and have wonderful wives of their own. By the time I got to work I realized I'm a blessed man. It was shaping up to be a good day.
Joe Walsh was right. “Life’s been good to me so far.”

D