Monday, August 10, 2009

David Lewis 1943 - 2009

Last week I lost a friend and the world lost a master rod builder. Dave Lewis of Performance Fly Rods passed away after battling pancreatic cancer at the age of 66. He will be missed by many.


About a year and a half ago, I began emailing Dave asking questions about choosing wrap colors, finishing techniques, components, and just about every other aspect of rod building that I could think of. I’m sure he was a busy man but he took the time to return each and every email with answers to all of my questions. Soon, it turned into me sending him pictures of rods that I built and he would critique them. He was very open about things I did on a build that he liked and never hesitated to point out the things that he didn’t care for. We had different tastes but that was okay with both of us. Even though I had just begun building rods, he respected my opinion and never tried to force his on me.


His rods are as pretty as they come. His writing and photos are awesome. Even though I never got to look the man in the eye or shake his hand, I counted him as a friend. I only wish I had known him longer.