Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Briminator

This past week, I've been working on a new fly rod and have neglected T.D.F. It's not something I'm proud of and hope it won't happen again. That being said, with my mind wrapped up in silk guide wraps, I haven't been able to come up with a post; until today.
Some of you may have wondered what fly that is in the picture at the top of the home page. It's a Briminator. Funny name huh? I tell you what, you won't be laughing at the name if you try one. You'll be giggling about all the fish you're catching.
This little fly is amazing. It's my go-to fly and will catch fish when nothing else is working. Bluegill absolutely cannot resist the thing; hence the name. But, it seems that other species can't resist it either. I've been fishing this fly for going on 4 years now and it consistantly catches bass, crappie, and catfish.
Next week, I'm heading to Colorado to do a little trout fishing and I'm taking a handfull of these little guys with me. Normally I tie it on a size 10 hook but I've got a little sump'n sump'n for Mr. Finicky B. Trout. I whipped up a few of them on size 16 & 18 hooks. In fact, the one in the pic is a size 16. I'll be sure to let you know when I get back if the Briminator can also be known as the Troutinator.
If you tie flies and want to catch some warm water species, here is how I tie it:
Hook - Mustad 3366 #10
Eyes - Gold Beadchain
Collar - Pheasant
Body - Dark Brown Dubbing
Tail - Marabou from bottom of Pheasant Feather
1.) Build up a small amount of thread about 1 bead width behind hook eye.
2.) Attach beadchain using figure 8 wraps & secure with a drop of glue & wrap thread to hook bend.
3.) Remove marabou from the bottom of the Pheasant feather and attach to top of hook at the bend.
4.) Twist the dubbing onto thread and wrap foward, over the top & between the eyes returning the thread to just behind the eyes.
5.) Attach the remainder of the feather just behind the eyes.
6.) Wrap (not palmer) the feather forward toward to the eyes, making sure to pull feather fibers back towards hook bend after each wrap.
7.) Once you have the collar on the way you want it, add a little more dubbing & wrap back to just in front of the eyes.
8.) Whip finish, add a drop of superglue & you're done... Good luck!

D